Do you bring together excellent writing and visual design skills, with a flair for creating compelling social content?
Do you have a love of humanity that knows no borders?
Are you a team player with a can-do attitude?
You could be the one we’re looking for.
We are looking for a Communications Officer to join our small and collaborative team in London. Application deadline: 9am Monday 23rd March.
ABOUT HELP REFUGEES
In August 2015, a group of friends started using the hashtag #helpcalais to organise a van full of donations. Within a week, we had raised £56,000 and were soon receiving 7,000 items every day.
We are now one of the largest providers of grassroots humanitarian aid in Europe, and currently support over 120 projects across Europe, the Middle East and US-Mexico border.
Each of these projects is powered by ordinary people who are stepping up where governments are failing to provide even the most basic services. From those keeping rescue boats afloat, to the volunteers distributing tents and hot food, to the brave souls working under the desert sun to place water along the Mexican border.
We also support those working to build a brighter future – the teachers working to ensure refugee kids don’t miss out on an education, the therapists helping heal the invisible scars of war, and the lawyers working to unite families.
Our ‘Choose Love’ brand has been worn by Oprah, Julia Roberts, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and thousands more across the world. Our ‘buy nothing’ pop-up stores in London, New York and LA have raised more than four million and gained headlines in New York Times, The Guardian and CNN. Our founders have addressed audiences including Barack Obama, Sheryl Sandberg and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’ll be responsible for:
- Plan and create on-brand compelling content for facebook, Instagram, twitter on a daily basis; includes writing copy, using design tools to create visual content and editing short videos.
- Ensure that comments and questions on Help Refugees’ social media are responded to swiftly, effectively and in organisational tone of voice.
- Working with Help Refugees colleagues in Greece and France to source content about our work on the ground.
- Support the Communications Manager on planning and delivery of exciting content around key moments such as the Choose Love stores and more.
- Creating compelling content for Help Refugees’ website, coordinating content from others, and creating joined-up user journeys across social and website.
- Keeping website up to date.
- Supporting development and delivery of Help Refugees’ new website.
- Support facebook birthday fundraisers
- Support individual and community fundraisers on our website
- Support online fundraising, including supporter emails and social media fundraising appeals.
Other responsibilities as necessary
- Communications support to Help Refugees’ key moments such as the Choose Love stores, festivals and events.
- Communications support to advocacy and campaigns.
- Support on internal collating and storing photography, video and stories.
- Support media on Help Refugees’ work and the refugee crisis.
- Other ad hoc duties as required.
- Confident communicator with excellent writing skills
- Excellent designer using tools such as in-design or photoshop; ability to create beautiful and impactful visual content
- Basic video editing skills
- Experience of creating professional digital content to support engagement
Ideally you will bring at least one of these to our work:
- Lived experience of displacement or migration.
- Experience working in the field of humanitarian aid, refugees or migration
- A love of social media, particularly instagram.
- Experience with mobile technology, online giving platforms and website design
- Track record of using social media platforms to raise awareness, organise and/ or fundraise
You choose love
You are motivated by a love of humanity that knows no borders.
You are a doer
You spot opportunities for impact and make things happen. You are comfortable working on scrappy passion projects and longer-term strategic campaigns. A good day is when you’ve done something to change the world.
You are a creative communicator
You know the world is changed by stories and you want to be at the heart of telling them. You can communicate complex ideas with clarity, powerful stories with passion and understand how to move people.
You are curious
You know good ideas can come from anywhere and are constantly looking at the world around you for inspiration.
You are a team player
You work best when part of a small, collaborative team. You are happy to muck in when needed and the words ‘not my job’ have never crossed your lips.
You are entrepreneurial
You think beyond the limits of your current role. You take risks, celebrate failure and never stop generating ideas.
The role will be managed by the Director of Communications and Campaigns.
It is based out of the Help Refugees office in Somerset House, London, and may involve some infrequent travel.
The role will be offered as a permanent role with a six-month probation period, starting as soon as possible.
Salary will be in-line with other NGOs.
Help Refugees does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, age, sexuality or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity and believe it creates dynamic, relevant organisations, fostering spaces for innovation and creativity. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team and encourage you to be a part of it.
We are committed to making our roles and culture inclusive. We can make reasonable adjustments throughout the application process and on the job. If you have particular accessibility needs, please get in touch and let us know any requirements you may have.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a cover letter (of no more than two pages) outlining your suitability for the role and a copy for your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CVs without cover letters will not be considered.
Application deadline: 9am Monday 23 March.