FUNDRAISING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Help Refugees is seeking a Fundraising and Communications Manager to join our London team (application deadline: 9am, Monday 20th January)
You choose love.
You are motivated by a love of humanity that knows no borders.
You are a doer
You spot opportunities for impact and make things happen. You are comfortable working on scrappy passion projects and longer-term strategic campaigns. A good day is when you’ve done something to change the world.
You are a creative communicator.
You know the world is changed by stories and you want to be at the heart of telling them. You can communicate complex ideas with clarity, powerful stories with passion and understand how to move people.
You are curious.
You know good ideas can come from anywhere and are constantly looking at the world around you for inspiration.
You are a team player.
You work best when part of a small, collaborative team. You are happy to muck in when needed and the words ‘not my job’ have never crossed your lips.
You are entrepreneurial.
You think beyond the limits of your current role. You take risks, celebrate failure and never stop generating ideas.
ABOUT HELP REFUGEES
Help Refugees started as nothing more than a hashtag.
Devastated by images of thousands of families arriving on European shores to be met with barbed wire, borders and batons, a group of friends used #helprefugees to organise a van full of donations in August 2015. Within a week, we had raised $72,000 and were soon receiving 7,000 items every day.
Fast forward four years and we have reached over one million displaced people, worked with over 35,000 volunteers and currently support over 120 projects across Europe, the Middle East and US-Mexican border.
Each of these projects is powered by ordinary people who are stepping up where governments are failing to provide even the most basic services. From those keeping rescue boats afloat, to the volunteers distributing tents and hot food, to the brave souls working under the desert sun to place water along the Mexican border.
We also support those working to build a brighter future — the teachers working with students to build prosthetic limbs, the therapists helping heal the invisible scars of war and the lawyers working to unite families.
Our ‘Choose Love’ brand has been worn by Oprah, Julia Roberts, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and thousands more across the world. Our ‘buy nothing, pop-up’ stores in London and New York have raised more than four million and gained headlines in New York Times, The Guardian and CNN. Our founders have addressed audiences including Barack Obama, Sheryl Sandberg and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Fundraising and Communications Manager is a new role focused on deepening the commitment of existing supporters and bringing new members into the Choose Love movement. It is perfect for someone who loves creative communications, data and gets excited by raising funds to support our incredible humanitarian partners.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Inputting to and delivering Help Refugee’s communication strategy
- Inspiring Help Refugee’s growing community of supporters to give by creating compelling campaigns and content across email, social media channels and offline events
- Tracking and analysing donor data to inform your work and the efforts of the organisation
- Overseeing pro-bono campaigns. We’re lucky enough to get support from Google and Facebook. We want you to use it most effectively
- Supporting the Leadership team on fundraising from high-level individual givers and foundations
- Make sure we’re updating our best-practices to reflect national and global trends in digital fundraising
- Occasional management of contractors and project teams
- Track record of success in digital fundraising or marketing with at least three years experience
- Demonstrable experience of understanding donor behaviour and inspiring people to give
- Confident and sophisticated communicator with strong writing skills
- Experience managing or working with a medium to large community of online givers (+50,000)
The Big Pluses
Ideally you will bring at least one of these to our work:
- Experience with online fundraising in the model of new movement organisations (Avaaz, Sum of Us, 38 Degrees)
- Experience using ActionKit of a similar platform
- Experience working in the field of humanitarian aid, refugee or migration
- Experience with mobile technology, online giving platforms and website design
- Track record of using social media platforms to fundraise
- Demonstrable experience in using data and analytics to segment audiences and target content that has resulted in more support
The role will be managed by the Director of Communications and Campaigns.
The role is based out of the Help Refugees office in Somerset House, London. Part-time remote working will be considered if you can be in London weekly.
The role may involve some infrequent travel.
The role will be offered as a permanent role with a six-month probation period. We anticipate the starting date to be no later than end of March 2020.
Salary is inline with other non-governmental organisations.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a cover letter (of no more than two pages) outlining your suitability for the role and a copy for your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be reviewing and interviewing before the closing date.
Application deadline: 9am, Monday 20th January.